welcome to Able motorcycle traianing

Welcome to Able motorcycle training

My name is Dave and i am the owner, instructor, and general dogs body!

After 18 years working for other training schools up and down the country i decided to start my own school with the ethos of providing very high quality instruction at affordable prices.

I opened  Able mct in 2010 establishing myself in Worksop.

Since opening, Able MCT has grown steadily mainly through word of mouth.

This of course meant recruiting more instructors, all of which are friendly, patient, fully qualified and extremely passionate about the job they do.  We have a very high first time pass rate and all take pride in the instruction we give. We always base the teaching and courses around the customers needs.

In a small period of time we have established a very good reputation for quality of service within the motorcycle industry both in the Worksop area and beyond.

 We have welcomed customers from Chesterfield , Sheffield , Barnsley, Worksop , Mansfield, Retford, Gainsborough, Lincoln, Newark and as far away as Skegness. 

We offer a full range of motorcycle training courses 

including CBT, CBT+, A1, A2, & Das training and Post test training.

All equipment and bike hire is included in the cost, which inevitably will vary depending on the students experience and ability. You can opt for a pay as you go option or a pay up front option as we offer courses or single sessions to make it eraser for customers to fit training around work and family commitments.

To find out more about specific courses just click on the links below to navigate to a specific page,or give me a call on 07814 845 876.




Compulsory basic training (CBT)

Compulsory basic training (CBT) is the course all learner motorbike and moped riders must complete before you can ride on the road.

CBT is designed to give you

  • a basic understanding of riding theory
  • practical skills to make you safe and confident on the road
  • enable you to gain valuable experience in preparation for taking your motorcycle test

The trainers are experienced motorcyclists who can give you valuable practical advice, so learn as much as you can on the course.

The trainers are experienced motorcyclists who can give you valuable practical advice, so learn as much as you can on the course.

There’s no exam and importantly no time scale, you should only move on to the next element in the course when you and your trainer are happy that you’ve learnt the theory and completed the practical skills to a safe level.

Don’t be worried if your course takes longer than a day, your trainer will only sign you off when they are satisfied you are safe to ride unaccompanied on the road.
The cost of CBT varies but it’s usually between £120 and £160. You may be accompanied by other learners on your course.

To find out more about whether you need to do CBT, visit GOV.UK.

You can read more about CBT in ‘The Official DVSA Guide to Learning to Ride’.

Who can deliver the CBT course?

The CBT course can only be given by a trainer from an approved training body (ATB).

You can find out about local ATBs from

  • the GOV.UK site
  • your local road safety officer
  • motorbike dealers
  • motorbike newspapers and magazines
  • local business directories
  • DVSA – call 0300 200 1122.

 Try to choose a trainer who

  • has a good reputation
  • is reliable and punctual
  • provides training that suits you

If you have a problem with your trainer, try to sort it out with the trainer or the approved training body first. If you can’t solve the problem this way, there’s advice on GOV.UK about who can help you.

What to expect from your CBT course

If you’ve done your homework and asked all the right questions you should turn up for your CBT full of confidence in what to expect from your day. Make sure you wear the right clothing ask your trainer about this, some provide motorcycle clothing as part of the course.

It is important to remember that your course may take longer than a day depending on your road or riding experience; your instructor will only move you through the course when they are happy that you have learned both the practical and theory side of the training.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you are not sure about anything, learning a new skill can be tiring. Make sure you take proper breaks, it will help with your concentration levels, especially during the road ride which must last for at least two hours and could take longer than this if you need more time to practice.

There are five elements that make up the course

  • A: Introduction to CBT – helps you understand the purpose and content of CBT; also covers helmets, the importance of wearing the right clothing, an eyesight check,  licencing  and all the legal requirements needed  when riding a motorbike
  • B: Practical on-site training – covers an introduction of the motorbike controls, machine safety checks, using the stand, wheeling the motorbike, and starting and stopping the engine
  • C: Practical on-site riding – covers riding techniques including riding in a straight line, stopping riding slowly, using the brakes, changing gear, even if you’re riding an automatic and developing steering and balance skills
  • D: Practical on-road training – theory based session covering: The highway code, staying safe on the road, legal requirements, road positioning and attitude
  • E: Practical on-road riding – you must spend at least two hours of road riding dealing with different situations and hazards with your trainer to show you are safe to continue learning on your own. This session may be extended should you require any additional development.

This DVSA video gives you an overview of CBT.

What should you wear for CBT?

Your trainer will talk about clothing as part of element A, so you might consider waiting until after the course before you buy your full motorbike gear, but you will need to wear appropriate clothing on the day.

You’ll need a decent jacket, gloves and boots – not shorts and trainers. Your ATB will provide you with a visibility aid which you must wear.

Many ATBs can provide basic equipment, including a helmet and bike, for the course – remember to ask when you book your training

There’s more information about motorbike clothing on this site too.

Completing CBT

When you’ve successfully completed the course, your trainer will give you a certificate DL196.

There are some things you must and mustn’t do when you’re riding on your CBT certificate.

You must have red L plates fitted to the front and back of the motorbike.

You must not ride on motorways or carry a passenger on your motorbike (called a pillion passenger).

If you completed your training on an Automatic bike you should seek further training from an instructor if you upgrade to a geared machine.

If you don’t pass your full motorbike test (theory test and two-part practical test) within two years of getting this certificate, you’ll have to do your CBT again.



CBT+ is a scheme administered by derbyshire county council road safety partnership.

Any one who has completed a cbt can take a further three hrs on road training in order to attain a  cbt+ certificate . The course costs £75 but Derbyshire county council may contribute £60 towards the cost .

The advantages to the student are that they get more training and a accredited certificate which could mean a reduction in i annual insurance premiums.


AM,A1,A2, & A Das courses

The new motorcycle licensing laws mean your choices depend partly on your age and partly on your experience. Here’s how it works.


Aged 16 or over: Moped Licence

You can ride a moped with L plates after completing your CBT, or if you want you could opt for the new AM licence by taking your theory test and then a practical test. This will allow you to ride a moped (either scooter or motorcycle style) up to 50cc with a top speed of 45 km/h (around 28mph) without L plates, and to carry a passenger.

Even if you decide not to get your full moped licence and just ride with L plates after your CBT, we recommend that you do further training after CBT to improve your riding skills and your road sense.


At 17 you can take a 2-stage practical test, after passing your CBT and theory tests, to get an A1 licence. This category will allow you to ride a motorcycle or scooter up to 125cc (with maximum power of 11 KW) without L plates, and to carry a passenger. You might find that passing a full motorcycle test can also reduce your insurance costs.

After two years of holding an A1 motorcycle licence, you can take another practical test and if successful qualify for an A2 Motorcycle Licence.


Aged 19 or over: 

At 19 can get an A2 Motorcycle Licence allowing you to ride a motorcycle or scooter with power up to 35KW (46.6 bhp) which will typically mean up to 500cc engine size, or a restricted version of a bigger more powerful model.

There are two ways to qualify for an A2 licence:

First if you have held an A1 Motorcycle Licence for 2 years, you can take another practical test.

Or second if you are 19 or older you can take the Direct Access route by completing your CBT and passing your Theory Test and Practical Tests.

You are then allowed to ride any A2 category motorbike or scooter without L plates and to carry a passenger.

After holding an A2 Motorcycle Licence for 2 years, you can take another practical test and get an unrestricted A Motorcycle licence 


Aged 21 or over:

At 21 you can get an A Motorcycle Licence, allowing you to ride any motorcycle or scooter of any size or power. There are two ways to qualify for an A Motorcycle Licence:

One, if you have held an A2 Motorcycle Licence for 2 years, you can take another practical test.

If you haven’t held an A2 licence for two years and if you are aged 24 or over, you can take the Direct Access route by completing CBT, Theory tests and a practical test.

You are then allowed to ride any motorbike or scooter without L plates and to carry a passenger.


Post test training

This product is currently undergoing changers  so keep looking for new info soon.